[Nhcoll-l] fabrics for use in fluid preserved collections

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Tue Sep 19 16:53:02 EDT 2017

Dee
About 20-25 years ago at the University of Nebraska State Museum I was facing crowded space in the fish fluid collections (still am). To resolve this problem I consolidated many jars of voucher specimens, jars that contain less than 10 individuals, into one jar. Typically it was one 4-ounce jar per voucher lot. A 4-ounce jar has a diameter of about 2 inches. The consolidated jars have 10-15 voucher lots in clear polyethylene sleeves within the one quart size jar. Our quart jars have a diameter of about 3.75 inches. You can see space savings. The clear polyethylene sleeves were custom formed from tubing (typically used for sealing specimens for freeze treatments) using an impulse sealer. The specimen label was folded and inserted into the sleeve to face outward, the specimens added as best as possible inside the folded label, and  the sleeve sealed. A 1/16-inch hole punch (typically the purple handle hole punch from hobby/craft stores) was used to punch holes through the sleeve at both ends. The sleeves could then be inserted into the quart jar, filled with 70% EtOH, and manipulated with forceps to expel bubbles. A group label with lot catalog numbers and basic information was added to the quart jar to indicate contents. The clear polyethylene sleeves still have data labels that can be read. The sleeves slide in and out of the jar easily, much easier than individual fish. And it could be up-scaled to handle larger specimen, perhaps with thicker poly sleeves.
Thomas

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
W-436 Nebraska Hall
900 N. 16th St.
Lincoln, NE  68588-0514
402/472-8366 (p.m.,Zoo.), 402/472-1607 (a.m.,Bot.), fax 402/472-8949
tlabedz1 at unl.edu   www.museum.unl.edu