[Nhcoll-l] [HERBARIA] Pringle Herbarium update and request for recommendations on fire protection systems.

Peter Jobson Peter.Jobson at nt.gov.au
Wed Sep 27 02:34:45 EDT 2017

Hi Michael,

NT (Northern Territory Herbarium, Alice Springs) is surrounded by native scrubland and fire from out of control bushfires is a major possibility. We did have a water based system, but I was always concerned about damage to sheets etc. So, 18 months ago, I had installed a Stat-X system. This is a fire suppression system that uses some chemical (I can’t find the name on the canister) but it isn’t CO2 & although it would make you ill if you breathed in a full canister, it won’t kill you like the CO2 system.

We haven’t had to test it yet – although we did have an impressive fire half a mile away on the weekend – but I am assured by our company that installs fire systems in our town, that this is the best way to go. BTW- the collection is c. 60,000 sheets & is the only Australian herbarium dedicated to the arid flora of the country.

Regards

Peter

Peter Jobson
Senior Botanist
NT Herbarium, Alice Springs
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
PO Box 1120 Alice Springs  NT 0871
T 08 895 18791 |
E peter.jobson at nt.gov.au<mailto:peter.jobson at nt.gov.au> | W https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lrm.nt.gov.au_&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=1GHZBIqZqwRk3nzR1czzK-UsTabIIWAGtvQi0BixQZ8&s=wCM9oTYj5oVy3MTrhRRu30ePCSQSO5fZerPwQLflZy8&e=
Be green, read it on the screen.