[Nhcoll-l] Flesh-eating dermestids

Fabian Neisskenwirth fabian.neisskenwirth at nmbe.ch
Fri Jun 1 03:02:49 EDT 2018

Hey Tonya,

We never had any issue whit the dermestids, because of the same reason; they
don’t like feathers or hair. Actually they can get very “picky” and prefer
certain types of meat than other.

But safety is first and we that’s why we take following precautions:

-          The dermestid type we use is a tropical one that needs warm
climate, so usually they don’t survive long time outside of their terrarium.
(the tank has a heater at 25°C, here we have a usual T° of 18-20 °C)

-          The terrarium is placed in a recipient full of glycerin, so if
they would crawl out of their terrarium they fall in the glycerin and stay
trapped in it.

-          Both terrarium and glycerin recipient are in a big Box that is
closed after feeding so they can’t go out. (The Box has a breathable top of
cloth so they don’t asphyxiate)

-          Always check for good cleaning after taking out material from the
terrarium.

-          If you need to clean the terrarium, put the residues of the
dermestids with the terrarium in the freezer to make sure that all eggs and
little dermestids are dead and you don’t spread them in the garbage (of
which they can easily get out).

-          All treated bones are put in acetone for at least one week, to
de-grease and kill little dermestids.

That’s it.,..

You could leave out some of the first 4 points
 or ad more safety, like a
having special room for them (we have them in one of our working rooms).

Good luck!

nmbe-logo
Fabian Neisskenwirth
Zoologischer Präparator
Naturhistorisches Museum der Burgergemeinde Bern
Bernastrasse 15
CH-3005 Bern

E-Mail:  <mailto:fabian.neisskenwirth at nmbe.ch> fabian.neisskenwirth at nmbe.ch
Telefon: ++41 (0)31 350 72 35
Fax: ++41 (0)31 350 74 99
Web:  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmbe.ch_&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=RYYoC2sfthaYLfPstkcWt3z6rg_1p9A22RO6z2QZh7A&e=> www.nmbe.ch

P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses Mail drucken. Avon da
stampar questa communicaziun patertgei vid igl ambient. Prima di stampare
questo messaggio pensate all' ambiente

 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmbe.ch_&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=RYYoC2sfthaYLfPstkcWt3z6rg_1p9A22RO6z2QZh7A&e=> Weltuntergang – Ende ohne Ende
 <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmbe.ch_&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=RYYoC2sfthaYLfPstkcWt3z6rg_1p9A22RO6z2QZh7A&e=> Eröffnung: 10. November 2017

Hintergründe und Episoden aus dem Naturhistorischen Museum Bern?
Folgen Sie uns auf  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_NMBern&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=Eqf-4yEwC0PFwbUrMLhUJn7BSP9v9v1ZCoV-cpPc13s&e=> Facebook,
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_NMBern&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=-EhYX51z6BAl_KOR-2kNdOVYBhBE_LW1bmxnTQydS4w&e=> Twitter und  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nmbern.tumblr.com_&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=gzcmmSQRO1ziM7KAkBbltsvfGZO_9WduGFEDkJ_CZE8&s=hw5uA0QaiOJz8z2GG07ZXHYs6-3mgeWxa5udiFlC_mk&e=>
Tumblr!