[Nhcoll-l] Alcohol safe InkJet printers

Gali Beiner gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Jun 20 06:29:21 EDT 2018

Hello Tom and others,

I see that the issue of labels for wet collections is as alive as ever.
Some of you may recall that I have recently posted a query asking which
printers and toners are used in "your" collections. I gathered that
similarly to Tom, everybody or almost everybody with an inkjet printer is
facing the same problem of having an old model for which parts and toners
are being discontinued, with the additional problem of not knowing whether
newer models stand up to the quality of the older ones.

Here in our collections we are currently gearing up to perform an
experiment with different labels and substrates, because we have our own
decisions to make on this subject. The current plan is to include at least
three different solutions (70% ethanol, formalin and at least one other),
in triplicate. I'm collecting material to be tested (thermal transfer,
inkjet, pigment-print and handwritten labels). Those of you who would like
to send labels for testing are invited to contact me and see how this can
fit in. At the moment I'm very interested in collecting inkjet labels.

Obviously, I'll be happy to acknowledge contributions and to share whatever
information gained. The other option is to bring together already-existing
information and publish that in one useful article, also something that I
would be happy to do, either separately or combined with the kind of
information review I'm doing for the benefit of our planned experiment.

Gali

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Tom Schiøtte <tschioette at snm.ku.dk> wrote:

> I would be grateful for information (brand, model and cartridge number)
> about *InkJet* printers (not thermo or laser printers) that any of you
> have been using for labels going into alcohol, and where you have long term
> experience that the ink stays on the labels and doesn’t fade away, rub off
> or otherwise proves unreliable.
>

> I presently use an HP DeskJet 1220C with cartridge # 45. It is quite
> satisfactory, but it is also, by now, a quite old machine, and I have
> checked that other HP printers using cartride # 45 are now discontinued
> too, so…..
>

> Thanks in anticipation
>

> *Tom Schiøtte*
>

> *Collection manager, Echinodermata & Mollusca*
>
> *Natural History Museum of Denmark (Zoology)*
>
> *Universitetsparken 15*
>
> *DK 2100 Copenhagen OE*
>

> *+45 35 32 10 48*
>
> *TSchioette at snm.ku.dk <TSchioette at snm.ku.dk>*

Gali Beiner (ACR)
Conservator, Palaeontology Lab
National Natural History Collections
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Berman Building, Edmond J. Safra campus, Givat Ram
Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Fax. 972-2-6585785
*gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il <gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il>*

*https://nnhc.huji.ac.il/?lang=en <https://nnhc.huji.ac.il/?lang=en>*