[Nhcoll-l] Thanks

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Jun 22 18:18:26 EDT 2018

Doug

There have been random cases of the incorrect ribbon being sent to users by Alpha Systems and I suspect this is what happened in your case.  This does indeed lead to print sloughing off the media in alcohol.  However, we have not had any issue with our labels using SDR ribbon in 17 years in multiple collections here at KU.  The labels have stood up to all conditions without any issue – no fading, no cracking, no yellowing, no print sloughing in multiple solutions – 70% and 95% ethanol, conc. and 4% formalin and glycerin – fatty, oily specimens of fish, herps as well as invertebrates.  Unlike any other printing medium, the spun bound polyester has also been subjected to commercial, professional aging tests that justify its use in alcoholic solutions.  I have however had numerous issues with dot matrix, ink jet and laser printed labels of various kinds over the 17 years that I have been involved with fish collections.

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V