[Nhcoll-l] [External] Blue Matrices

Tacker, Christopher christopher.tacker at naturalsciences.org
Fri Oct 12 22:33:18 EDT 2018

Hi, Katie,

This is what EDA was made for. The machine you need is an SEM with EDA (Energy Dispersive Analysis). That will give you a spectrum that identifies the elements present in the blue stain. In particular, you need an Environmental SEM. These use a partial pressure of nitrogen in place of carbon coating the specimen. Obviously for these fossils, you don't want to carbon coat them.

I would start with the shards that don't have fossils. 15 kV is a good place to start for accelerating voltage. That covers the excitation energy for most of the periodic chart. With this color blue, I suspect that copper is involved. But there are so many different transition metals that could contribute, you really need to measure and not guess.

Once you have a chemical analysis, then you can start to investigate proper means to curate the material.

Feel free to contact me to discuss it if you like.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Tacker, Ph.D., P.G., Research Curator, Geology
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences       http://www.naturalsciences.org/
11 West Jones Street
Raleigh, NC  27601-1029

Please note:
E-mail and phone have both changed:
christopher.tacker at naturalsciences.org     919-707-9941.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.