[Nhcoll-l] IPM pest identification guides

Liz Freedman Fowler eafreedman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:33:01 EDT 2018

Hello,

We are implementing an Integrated Pest Management program at the Badlands
Dinosaur Museum in Dickinson, North Dakota. We have had the triangle glue
traps set out, and now it is time to identify the results.

What resources do you use to learn how to identify museum bugs? Are there
online resources, or do you prefer a book? Are people mostly self-taught at
museum bug identification?

Our traps seem to be catching mostly pillbugs, spiders, and crickets, but
there are plenty of other taxa as well. Should I focus mainly on nailing
down species identifications for just the "bad bugs" than can be harmful to
museum objects, or should I try to get precise identifications on
everything?

Thank you for the advice!
-Liz Freedman Fowler

Dr. Liz Freedman Fowler