[Nhcoll-l] how should we encode vague dates in specimen database?

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Sep 18 00:49:05 EDT 2018

Dear Eric,

it depends which kinds of data field your database offers for date
entries. Paul's recommendations are very reasonable, as this convention
provides a clear indicator that specific information was not available
(but that this information was checked to best knowledge when datasets
were migrated into the new database, or entered directly). Recording
that something was unknown at a specific point or recorded inadequately
or vaguely is very helpful, especially if a successor wants to evaluate
specific datasets in the future.

In our database, any edits are marked with [squared brackets], for
example alternative locality spellings, locality data that got edited to
be more accurate, etc. Usually we add initials and date of the person
that did the edits.

If your database has only one field for date entries and this is
numerical, it might be worth to move the information into the remarks.
Because the remarks field is a collector for everything that fits
nowhere else, it is worth to introduce a strict syntax to separate these
bits (e.g. a semicolon).

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 18.09.2018 um 03:21 schrieb Schultz, Eric:

> We are cleaning up entries in a legacy database so that our data can
> be imported into a properly configured collections database.  Exact
> dates will be imported in a text string mm/dd/yyyy.  But how to render
> a vague date referring only to season, such as ‘Spring 1984’, or if
> only the year was recorded? Is it better to record as missing data,
> record as an erroneous but exact date such as 01/01/1984, or place at
> the midpoint of the season?  Whatever we do we will have a ‘verbatim’
> field that preserves the original entry, but we want to have a version
> of collection date that is useful and searchable.  Thanks for any
> assistance!
>
> Eric T. Schultz
>
> Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
>
> Coordinator, Joint BS-MS Degree in Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
>
> Director, Vertebrate Biodiversity Collections
>
> Chair, General Education Oversight Committee
>
> University of Connecticut
>
> Storrs, CT 06269-3043
>
> eric.schultz at uconn.edu <mailto:eric.schultz at uconn.edu>
>
> 860.486.4692

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/