[Nhcoll-l] What water to use with spirit specimens

Tonya.Haff at csiro.au Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Wed Sep 26 22:31:40 EDT 2018

Hello all,

I've been thinking about the best water to use for diluting ETOH down to 70% for storing formalin-preserved vertebrates.  Early on I was taught to only every use deionised water, to avoid the introduction of other chemicals, impurities, etc. However,  I have recently heard that using good quality tap water may be in fact better than deionised/demineralised water, as deionised water is not in a stable state and so can in fact pull minerals out of the specimen. I would love to hear what other people use and what your thoughts may be on this. Thanks!

Cheers,

Tonya

Dr Tonya Haff
Collections Manager
Australian National Wildlife Collection
National Research Collections Australia, CSIRO
Canberra, Australia
Phone: (+61) 02 62421566