[Nhcoll-l] Fossil collections and radioactivity

Monaghan, Nigel nmonaghan at museum.ie
Fri Sep 28 05:25:17 EDT 2018

Guillaume

I attended a training workshop in Oxford UK, that addressed these issues, with particular reference to EU legislation. It was led by Dr Monica Price monica.price at oum.ox.ac.uk

Nigel

-----Original Message-----
From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of Guillaume BILLET
Sent: 28 September 2018 10:11
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Fossil collections and radioactivity

Hello everyone,

in the fossil mammal collection of the MNHN Paris, we are currently dealing with issues of high level radioactivity for a number of specimens (>usual background radiation) and we are trying to set up an action plan. For this reason, we would love to hear about the policy in other Museums concerning radioactive fossils.
Do you systematically measure specimens for radioactivity in your fossil collection?  Does your institution have a strict policy about radioactive fossils? Most particularly, how do you cope with the risk of inhaling radioactive dust due to such specimens?

Many thanks and best wishes
Guillaume

--
Guillaume BILLET
Assistant Professor & Curator (MNHN)

Centre de Recherches sur la Paléobiodiversité et les Paléoenvironnements (CR2P) UMR CNRS 7207 Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle 8, rue Buffon
75231 Paris Cedex 05, FRANCE
Phone + 33 (0)1 40 79 38 14

Email address: guillaume.billet at mnhn.fr

Collection website / Site des collections: http://colhelper.mnhn.fr