[Nhcoll-l] [External] Fossil collections and radioactivity

William Shepherd w.shepherd at swiftcurrent.ca
Fri Sep 28 11:27:17 EDT 2018

Hello Everyone,

                While I've not dealt with radioactivity and fossils, though maybe I should get our collection checked, I do have experience with radioactive items. In particular radium aircraft dials. I don't know the difference in radioactivity levels between an 'average' fossil of concern and a dial but I'm guessing the levels would be similar and the health concerns would be similar as well (i.e. inhalation of particles, exposure). Unless there is a large collection of dials the over all exposure concern of properly housed items is low, short of having them in the same office as yourself. Typically these dials are double or triple sealed in PP or PE bags and then stored in PP or PE containers with approximately 4-10 in a container depending on level of concern. This rather effectively blocks the majority of the radioactivity being emitted by these items and as long as you are not sitting beside them everyday the occasional exposure is similar to background levels. This also contains any dust from the items so that it isn't inhaled by anyone. Any gas buildup is also contained in this setup. Depending on the material the inhalation may be of more concern than the exposure as some radioactive materials very readily get absorbed into your system when inhaled or ingested. Radium, as with the aircraft dials, mimics calcium so your body happily stores it in your bones and that does not end well...

                If anyone has any sources for good/cheap Geiger metres I'd be interested in hearing about them.

William Shepherd
Collections Officer
Swift Current Museum
44 Robert Street West