[Nhcoll-l] Use of denatured ethanol for short term storage of molecular samples

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Apr 18 17:31:09 EDT 2019

Hi Nick,

the question is which denaturants are included, because additives behave
differently; also the integument of target organisms influences
dehydration of tissues.

An alternative (not tested myself) might be strong liquors (if
available) or to mix the denatured EtOH with strong liquor to reduce
potentially negative effects of denaturants, but you would need to
exchange the fluid surely 2-3 times to avoid hydrolysis and guarantee
fast dehydration of tissues in order to rapidly preserve the DNA (tissue
: fluid volume is decisive).

Another alternative (depending on outside temperatures or availability
of ice) would be to freeze the frogs in the field to tissue them, or to
rapidly sun dry smaller amounts of tissues (but you would need to make
sure that dried tissues stay absolutely dry to avoid dehydration).

If denaturants interfere with the helix you would have smaller fragments
of course, but if you extract tissues fast after returning from the
field the yield still may be good even with denatured ethanol. But as
said: key is to stop hydrolysis and autolysis by inactivating enzymes or
dehydrating tissues fast.

Hopes this gives you some inspirations

Best wishes
Dirk

Am 18.04.2019 um 23:03 schrieb Nick Cairns:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm seeking guidance on reagents. I'm trying to collect chorus frogs
> from across western Canada (whole and toe clips). These samples will
> be likely be extracted using phenol/chloroform then ethanol (EtOH)
> precipitation to tidy them up. Downstream they'll be used for mtDNA
> (Sanger) and genomic (ddRAD) protocols. The issue is, I am currently
> in rural Saskatchewan and only have denatured EtOH (Fisherbrand
> Histoprep 95%) available to me.  I understand that the additives in
> some denatured EtOH can cause issues downstream but has anyone ever
> used it for short term storage then replaced it later with anhydrous
> to remove the additives? Can these additives be reduced from the
> tissues after the fact?
> Any insights would be most welcome.
> Thank you,
> Nick

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/