[Nhcoll-l] Providing water to dermestids

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Thu Mar 7 17:00:07 EST 2019

Tonya

I ran what I'd consider a very efficient dermestid colony in our prep room for over 30 years. I never had a water source in the container with dermestids. I relied on not quite totally dry tissue for them, using that moisture to attract them to feed (and drink). When things got too dry to feed efficiently I'd apply drops of water to the area of the tissue in need of further chewing. If what I was wanting them to prep was too dry I'd soak the carcass and then er-dry it to my satisfaction before tossing it in. If things get too damp or humid in the dermestid colony you run the risk of molds, fungi, fecal material and shed exoskeletons composting, attracting drain flies, cockroaches, or other unwanted pests to the dermestid colony.

Thomas

PS - Consider wearing a dust mask when working with the colony. Myself, and others, have developed sensitivity to the colony dust.

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager

Division of Zoology and Division of Botany

University of Nebraska State Museum

Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.