[Nhcoll-l] AIBS Webinar - Science-based Species Conservation: Will Changes to Endangered Species Act Worsen the Biodiversity Crisis?

Jyotsna Pandey jpandey at aibs.org
Tue Sep 10 15:42:49 EDT 2019

More than 450 scientists from around the world recently released findings
showing that up to one million species may become threatened with
extinction. At a time when scientists are calling for strengthened
biodiversity protections, the United States is undoing provisions of the
Endangered Species Act.

On August 27, 2019, the Trump Administration published three final
regulatory rollbacks that drastically weaken the Endangered Species Act.
The Act has successfully protected the bald eagle, American alligator,
Pacific salmon, humpback whale, brown pelican, as well as many other
species and their habitats-from mountain tops to coastal beaches. These new
regulations change the rules governing the recovery of listed species,
strip any new "threatened" species of the automatic protections they once
received, and make it considerably harder for species to gain protections
in the first place.

Scientists are some of the most important voices in the country about the
natural world, and they must be well versed in the impacts of these
rollbacks. Your input is necessary to ensure that, as a country, we are
good stewards of the environment and leave behind a legacy for our children
and grandchildren of protecting endangered species and the special places
they call home.

Please join our webinar on Tuesday, September 17 with Endangered Species
Act experts to learn more about how these new rules impact species
conservation in the United States.

*Science-based Species Conservation: Will Changes to Endangered Species Act
Worsen the Biodiversity Crisis?*

Location: Online
Cost: Free and Open to the Public

Presented by: The American Institute of Biological Sciences