[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

William Simpson wsimpson at fieldmuseum.org
Thu Sep 26 15:40:05 EDT 2019

Yes, by all means - because technologies improve (not to mention
technologies we haven't even dreamed of yet).  We have a borhyaenid
holotype that's already been CT-scanned four different times with ever
more advanced CT-scanners.

Best,

Bill

On 9/26/19 12:59 PM, Sarah K. Huber wrote:

> Recently I’ve been fielding a lot of questions about why our
> collection should retain a physical specimen once it has been
> digitized (e.g., CT-scanned, photographed, x-rayed, etc.). I’m curious
> how often other museum professionals are asked this question and what
> your general responses are for justifying the retention of a physical
> specimen. Why do you tell people it’s important to retain a specimen?
>
> If anyone knows of article that have addressed this specific question
> I would appreciate references so that I can have them on hand for
> particularly curious visitors.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>
> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu |
> http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
> PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

*

William F. Simpson*
Head of Geological Collections
McCarter Collections Manager, Fossil Vertebrates
Gantz Family Collections Center

O: 312.665.7628

Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive