[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Jennifer Doubt jdoubt at nature.ca
Thu Sep 26 14:21:22 EDT 2019

We get that quite a bit for herbarium specimens

The main points I make are that

-          Researchers sometimes need access to a part of the plant that is not visible on the mounted specimen (for example, it is hidden, or on the reverse side, OR it is so small that the resolution of an image can't capture it adequately)

-          We can't anticipate the kinds of questions that specimens will be used to answer in the future. It wouldn't have been possible to anticipate sampling herbarium specimens for DNA analysis at one time, for example, but it has become routine...and it is not possible with images. There are lots of instances where we are grateful for having the original. Who knows what might be included in the specimen that we might someday need?

Good wishes!

Jennifer

Jennifer Doubt
Curator, Botany / Conservatrice, Botanique
National Herbarium of Canada / Herbier national du Canada - CAN, CANM, CANL, CANA
Research and Collections / Recherche et Collections
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature
PO Box 3443 Stn "D" / CP 3443 Succ « D »
Ottawa, ON  Canada   K1P 6P4
T: 613-364-4076
E/C: jdoubt at mus-nature.ca<mailto:jdoubt at mus-nature.ca>
nature.ca