[Nhcoll-l] Why retain physical specimens

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Sep 26 17:07:23 EDT 2019

... and because you can't re-collect them back in time. Once they are
gone, not only part of our cultural heritage is lost, loosing research
samples would violate one of the core  principle of evidence based, good
sciences, i.e. that research studies shall be repeatable using the same
samples.

E.g. re-extraction of the same tissues will not necessarily help to
discover mistakes that happened during extraction or downstream in the
lab with retrieved DNA samples and subsequent PCR-products generated out
of them after extraction.

All the best
Dirk

Am 26.09.2019 um 19:59 schrieb Sarah K. Huber:

> Recently I’ve been fielding a lot of questions about why our
> collection should retain a physical specimen once it has been
> digitized (e.g., CT-scanned, photographed, x-rayed, etc.). I’m curious
> how often other museum professionals are asked this question and what
> your general responses are for justifying the retention of a physical
> specimen. Why do you tell people it’s important to retain a specimen?
>
> If anyone knows of article that have addressed this specific question
> I would appreciate references so that I can have them on hand for
> particularly curious visitors.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>
> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu |
> http://www.vims.edu/research/facilities/fishcollection/index.php
> PO Box 1346 | 1370 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
*new email: neumann(a)snsb.de*

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/