[Nhcoll-l] Heat panels for controlling pests

Derek Woller asilid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:00:12 EST 2020

I find the heat panel concept to be an intriguing one, but also problematic
in other ways. For example, the biggest flaw I see is that the linked
article specifically mentions it's effective in keeping away crawling
dermestids, but I assumed that adult dermestids primarily flew into
collection areas and then mated, laid eggs, etc.. Fellow entomologists,
primarily coleopterists, is this incorrect thinking on my part? Granted,
this method should dissuade wandering dermestid larvae, so it should be
helpful to some degree.

Thanks for sharing!
  --

*Derek A. Woller*, Ph.D.

USDA Supervisory Entomologist, Rangeland Grasshopper and Mormon Cricket
Management Team

Phoenix, AZ, U.S.A.

Derek.A.Woller at usda.gov <Derek.A.Woller at aphis.usda.gov>

Check out my wife's Etsy store where you can buy all sorts of neat vinyl
decals (and more), especially cool insect ones:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticNatureStudio
<https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticNatureStudio?ref=pr_shop_more>

Proud to be an explorer of the final biological frontier: entomology.