[Nhcoll-l] Phorids in dermestid colony

Susan Gallagher sugal at ptd.net
Wed Dec 23 12:38:15 EST 2020

Hello List,

Longtime lurker here, with a phorid fly infestation in one of my
dermestid beetle colonies. I thought I'd gotten them all out when I
removed some specimens that weren't quite as dry as normal. Those
specimens had adult flies and larvae. I moved everything to a new tank
and don't see any more larvae, but some adults are still in there
scuttling around.

Is there a chance the colony is salvageable, or should I just get rid of it?

Thanks.

Sue
Susan Gallagher, Chief Naturalist
Carbon County Environmental Education Center
151 East White Bear Drive
Summit Hill, Pennsylvania 18250

(570) 645-8597
sugal at ptd.net