[Nhcoll-l] Barcode supplier question and Barcodes for Fluid Digitization question

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Mon Feb 10 16:32:13 EST 2020

Doug,

We use BarTender on a Mac using Parallels software to emulate a PC
environment. We use a freeware app that lets us print from BarTender to PDF
so I can then print the PDF from within the Mac environment.

Matthew Buffington was raving about 200g HP double sided gloss brochure
paper. He wrote: "We use a Brother 4000 series color laser printer, and
print on HP double sided gloss brochure paper, 200g. The thickest they
make. Its calendared for smoothness; its archival; the ‘toner’ is actually
polymerized to the surface of the paper, making it near impossible to
scrape off. We have tested it in ethanol, PG, and water; the toner does not
come off like standard toner. Finally, we are able to print at 3pt font
(Helvetica) with no loss in resolution. A single black cartridge (ca. 80$
USD) will print several hundred pages of labels before replacing."

We use the above for our 2D matrix code labels for pinned specimens. We
order pre-made sticker barcodes for our vials (see earlier email in this
thread).

-Derek

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu> wrote:

> While I can't answer Laurel's question, while we're on the topic I would
> appreciate hearing from folks with experience making bar code labels "in
> house" on regular paper and standard printer; for various reasons, we're
> finding thermal transfer printing to be more inefficient and costly than
> we would like, as well as using up a lot of space we could use for other
> purposes, and we're considering finding an alternative that doesn't
> require either a special medium (ours costs over 400 dollars a roll) or
> a special printer.
>
> We know about BarTender software (it's what we're using now), and it
> isn't Mac-compatible, and Mac-compatibility is essential (one reason the
> thermal printer system takes up so much space is that we have a PC that
> literally runs only that one program, so in addition to the printer
> there's a full-size computer, monitor, and keyboard we would be able to
> get rid of if we find a Mac-compatible option). Many of the
> Mac-compatible options appear to be strictly for thermal transfer
> printers, and we want to get rid of our printer.
>
> Again, if you have experience with any systems that would let us ditch
> the PC and thermal transfer printer, recommendations and caveats would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Doug Yanega      Dept. of Entomology       Entomology Research Museum
> Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314     skype: dyanega
> phone: (951) 827-4315 (disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
>               https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
>    "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>          is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
1962 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 400,276 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us