[Nhcoll-l] Biodiversity Crisis - We need your input

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 11 13:19:24 EST 2020

"We have developed a short online survey that we hope will capture the
information we need to formulate a meaningful response.

https://tiny.cc/biocrisis"
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tiny.cc_biocrisis&d=DwMFAg&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=svMlQwGevn9uqNrpxRJ2yJpVdtCjQ3_9IKGzhmbqTyE&s=_36g9gn3ccJQs7in_wF0OOyeADV7eZCMs9FLKvqkAEI&e=>

Having just completed this survey, I'll note that among the agenda items
we're asked to prioritize, two of them ask about the need for funding or
leading conservation efforts, but none of them ask about the need for
funding or leading *curatorial* efforts, such as training and supporting
taxonomists to provide identifications for natural history collections,
or capturing and mobilizing specimen data.

I think all of us in the community understand that you can't promote
effective assessment or management of biodiversity if you don't know
what the organisms are, or where they live, and while I don't doubt for
a minute that the people in SPNHC are fully aware of this fundamental
need, I do have to wonder why it does not appear anywhere in the survey,
when it seems to me that it should be an integral part of the
discussion. After all, it's not like this work has been completed, or is
anywhere even close to complete - there isn't a natural history
collection in the world that has all of its holdings databased, online,
AND fully reviewed for accuracy (both accuracy of data, *and* accuracy
of identification). Is this not one of the highest priorities we in the
collections community need to address in terms of the biodiversity
crisis? How useful are our millions upon millions of specimens if we
don't know whether we can trust the data, or trust the IDs?

I'm not really looking for a public response, but I do want to encourage
people taking the survey to make use of the comments towards the end to
give feedback, and expand upon the very limited selection of agenda
items in the survey, if you agree with me that there are some
fundamental things missing.

Sincerely,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html