[Nhcoll-l] Early Career Scientists Symposium Speakers & Registration Announced

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Thu Feb 13 16:44:47 EST 2020

[image: Marten_MammalImagesLibrarybyLLMasterweb2.jpg]

*16th Annual Early Career Scientists Symposium*

The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of
Michigan is pleased to announce the program for this year's Early Career
Scientist Symposium <https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/ecss/>. This year’s theme
is *Natural History Collections: Drivers of Innovation*—an exciting
symposium about innovative and unconventional uses of biological
collections across scientific disciplines. The symposium will take place*
Saturday, March 14, 2020, *at the Biological Sciences Building on the
campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

When biologists think of natural history collections, most tend to think of
taxonomy and systematics, yet many are unaware of the uses of biological
collections beyond those traditional fields. These studies span the breadth
of the tree of life and address broad subjects from comparative genomics to
bioengineering and climate change to historical pathogen dynamics, among
many, many more. We envision this symposium as a way to showcase the
often-unrealized opportunities and non-traditional avenues of research that
our collections make possible to the entire scientific community, and
emphasize some of the interdisciplinary ways our collections are being or
could be used.

The program includes two keynote talks by senior speakers and seven
additional talks by early-career speakers. Our keynote speakers are Rob
Guralnick <https://sites.google.com/site/robgur/> and Pamela Soltis
<https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/museum-voices/soltis-lab> from the
Florida Museum of Natural History. Additional details on our speakers and
their topics is found here
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/ecss/home/speakers-2020/>.

Following the symposium, a reception and collection tours will be held at
the Research Museums Center <https://lsa.umich.edu/rmc> (just five miles
south of the UofM Central Campus). Free parking is available, but
transportation will be provided to and from the Research Museums Center.
Please indicate if you will need transportation during the registration
process.

*Register now for ECSS 2020!
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/ecss/home/register/>*

*NOTE *– A related workshop on speciation-based delimitation
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/species/> is scheduled for Friday, March 13,
2020. Please contact Lacey Knowles <knowlesl at umich.edu> for more
information.

Thank you!