[Nhcoll-l] Question about jar grease in fluid collections

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 27 10:33:33 EST 2020

Thanks Dirk,

I have also had problems with older versions of Vaseline (1970s) where the dehydrating effect of IMS / IDA alcohols produced little tiny coagulated ‘pills’ of vaseline in the sealed area, whereas Paraffin soft white (a similar product) was fine and didn’t do this.  The Alsirol I have used to good effect thus far for at least 7 years but some say it’s quite expensive at E33 per 50ml tub; however, as Dirk suggested, you do only need a thin smear to seal a jar effectively.  To that end  you only need a small amount of any of the greasy sealants - too much and they gradually flow down into the jar and the lid can ‘float’ on the excess sealant.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com