[Nhcoll-l] U.S. State Department Public Consultation, "Concerning the Use of Digital Sequence Information of Genetic Resources" 12 March 2020.

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri Feb 28 10:47:05 EST 2020

... just to add few more details & background that might be helpful for
preparation:

The submitted views on DSI of SPNHC can be found here:
https://www.cbd.int/abs/DSI-views/2019/SPNHC-DSI.pdf

Further relevant submissions that might be helpful an have raised
concerns from the perspective of taxonomists/biologists (e.g.  CETAF,
joint submission of NHM London/Kew/RBG Edinburgh, iBOL &
DNFS/Leibniz/VBIO) can be found here:
https://www.cbd.int/dsi-gr/2019-2020/submissions/

Also included on this website is the submission of the US:
https://www.cbd.int/abs/DSI-views/2019/US-DSI.pdf

The meeting of the Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on DSi will take place
in Montreal from 17-20 March; details on this meeting can be found here
: https://www.cbd.int/meetings/DSI-AHTEG-2020-01

The co-chairs of the L&R committee would appreciate a brief note if you
plan to attend this meeting.

With best wishes
Dirk Neumann & Stephanie Carson

Am 28.02.2020 um 16:21 schrieb Thiers, Barbara:

> A meeting of interest to SPNHC members interested in the future of the
> use of DSI:
>
> **
>
> (from the federal register website:
> https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/02/20/2020-03423/notice-of-public-meeting-concerning-the-use-of-digital-sequence-information-of-genetic-resources):
>
> **
>
> *Concerning the Use of Digital Sequence Information of Genetic Resources*
>
> In order to inform U.S. Government policy and international
> engagement, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) invites submission of
> comments from the public, academia, industry, and other stakeholders
> for an ongoing process under the Convention on Biological Diversity
> concerning the use of “digital sequence information (DSI) on genetic
> resources,” also known as genetic sequence data (GSD). The Department
> will hold a public meeting and information session to discuss these
> issues, on March 12, 2020.
>
> The meeting will take place Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 10:00 p.m. EST
> and last for up to two hours. Electronic comments are due on or before
> April 30, 2020.
>
> The meeting will be held at the U.S. State Department's Harry S.
> Truman Building, 2201 C Street NW, Room 1498, Washington, DC 20520.
> Please use the 21st Street entrance, and plan to arrive at least
> twenty minutes prior to the start of the meeting to allow for ID
> verification and escorting requirements.
>
> For those that cannot attend but would like their voice to be heard on
> the matter, it is possible to submit comments.  One electronic
> submission per person by the April 30 deadline is welcome, with no
> more than 10 pages of single-spaced text including relevant examples,
> with no more than one page per example. Submissions should be made via
> the internet at /www.regulations.gov <http://www.regulations.gov>/ and
> entering docket number [DOS-2020-0005]. Note that relevant comments
> submitted to /regulations.gov/ will be posted without editing and will
> be available to the public; therefore, business-confidential
> information should be clearly identified as such and submitted by
> email. The public is required to file submissions electronically
> rather than by facsimile or mail.
>
> More information, including links to supplementary documents, can be
> found on the website referenced above.
>
> I encourage all interested SPNHC members to participate!
>
> Dr. Barbara M. Thiers
>
> Vice President
>
> Patricia K. Holmgren Director of the William and Lynda Steere Herbarium
>
> Curator of Bryophytes
>
> Editor, /Index Herbariorum/
>
> President, Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
>
> New York Botanical Garden
>
> Bronx, NY 10458-5126
>
> bthiers at nybg.org <mailto:bthiers at nybg.org>
>
> 718-817-8626
>
> Download:
>
> The World’s Herbaria 2019
> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/