[Nhcoll-l] new US Customs regulations?

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 28 16:24:58 EST 2020

On 2/28/20 12:39 PM, Bentley, Andrew Charles wrote:

> Doug
>
> Are these issues on the US end or the international end?  Are they
> related to customs or something else?  Do you have any info on the
> forms – names, codes, etc.?
>
> If on the international end I would assume that the rules are
> different for each country.  Are there specific countries that are
> proving to be problematic?

It's strictly between us (or our university mailing office) and the
USPS, as it's the USPS that has been rejecting our attempted shipments.
We had been using form 2976-A and the small green form, and when those
were rejected we tracked down the new form. But today, even with the
2976-R form provided by USPS, they just returned one of those.
Apparently, the regs changed some time back, but not all USPS offices
griped about it, as people reported to me privately that they'd started
getting rejects almost a year ago, so maybe our local agents were just
cutting us slack until recently.

The proper form and filing procedure appears to be linked here:
https://www.usps.com/international/customs-forms.htm

It's going to mean a bit more frustration to prepare shipments this way,
given (1) yet another *$%@$ website that you can't use at all unless you
create a user account and password to go with the 50 other accounts and
passwords you have to navigate every day, and (2) the requirements of
the online form, according to what Deb Trock told me:

"Another thing that took us a while to figure out is that on the very
first page of the on-line form it will ask you for the weight of the
package, which you will need to have before you start the form.  Then a
couple of pages later it will ask you for the weight of the contents.
If you put down the same weight that you had entered on the first page,
it will reject your form because the weight of the contents is added to
the weight of the box and packaging for the total weight.  We usually
just put the total weight of the wrapped package on the first page and
then subtract a pound for the box and wrapping when it asks for the
weight of the contents a few pages later."

Frustrating, but not as bad as having packages actually returned to us
for re-shipping, so we'll just have to accommodate.

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html