[Nhcoll-l] preserving freshwater jellyfish (Hydrozoans)

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 9 04:41:01 EDT 2020

Hi Curtis,

I used to look after the cnidarians at the NHM, London during the 1980s and I found that formalin at 5% was great for preserving jellied forms as it preserved their translucency but hydrozoans became structurally weakened and sometimes their polyps could break off especially if they were athecate. Alcoholic preservatives (I used 80% Industrial meth spirit) are good for polypoid/colonial hydrozoans.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com