[Nhcoll-l] Intro to Non-insect Invertebrate Collections in Arctos

Emily M. Braker emily.braker at colorado.edu
Thu May 21 13:42:26 EDT 2020

Please join us for an introductory webinar on using Arctos to manage non-insect Invertebrate Collections.

Abstract: This webinar will provide an overview of Arctos while highlighting helpful features that support the management of non-insect invertebrate collections. Taxonomy often presents a significant challenge for invertebrate collections, and through a collaboration with the World Register of Marine Species, Arctos dynamically integrates WoRMS taxonomic source data to organize local name and classification structures. This externally-curated source has been used by the DMNS Marine Invertebrate Collection for several years with excellent results. We will look at features of individual taxon records, how the WoRMS (via Arctos) taxonomic source feeds into specimen data, and how it supports accurate data entry at the single entry level and through bulkloading. With an invertebrate example from the Chicago Academy of Sciences, we will demonstrate the Arctos Project and linked Publications and Loans features. If time allows, we will also review how Agents and Media can be used to increase the value of specimen records.

Presenters: Phyllis Sharp (Zoology Departmental Associate, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Marine Invertebrate Collection) and Anna Chinn (Assistant Collections Manager, Chicago Academy of Sciences, Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum)

When: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 3:00pm ET

Where: Zoom Link here<https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/98719470774> (pw: Arctos)

Can't Make It?: View archived recordings here https://arctosdb.org/learn/webinars/

Emily Braker
Vertebrate Collections Manager, Zoology Section
University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
265 UCB, Bruce Curtis Building
Boulder, CO 80309-0218
Phone: 303-492-8466
http://www.colorado.edu/cumuseum/research-collections/vertebrates