[Nhcoll-l] New data visualization resources for NHCs

Jessica Mailhot Jessica.Mailhot at colorado.edu
Wed May 27 16:59:43 EDT 2020

Hello!
My name is Jessica Mailhot, and I am a recent graduate from the CU Boulder
Museum & Field Studies Program.

For my thesis project, I explored applying data visualization to
collections management. I designed a suite of dashboards that anyone can
download for free, plug their own data into, and tailor to address their
unique needs, all using the free and user-friendly software Tableau Public.
These dashboards are designed to help with showcasing the scope of your
collection, advocating for your impact, managing grant projects, and many
other tasks. No programming experience or purchase required.

The tools, resources, and tutorials that I created during my thesis project
are all available for free on the website www.CollVizDashboards.com
<http://www.collvizdashboards.com> ("CollViz" being short for Collection
Visualization). It's also where you can find literature about other museum
data viz, extra resources about data viz and the software, and a discussion
board for creative conversation and collaboration.

Feel free to contact me through the website or at
contact at collvizdashboards.com <contact at collvizdashbaords.com> with any
questions or comments. CollViz is still very new, so any feedback is
appreciated. As a recent graduate, I'm very excited to see where museums go
next and to contribute something unique and helpful for you in these
challenging times.

Thank you for your time,
Jess