[Nhcoll-l] bagging and thawing or thawing and bagging?

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed Sep 23 04:34:28 EDT 2020

Hi Rob (and all),

that was my thought, too. Because they are frozen in boxes for
considerable time now and have been obviously thoroughly sun-dried
before shipping (they are like wooden boards), the fins in a close to
freeze-dried condition. By bagging them frozen in small batches (only if
the fins are free of ice crystals) my intention was to shift the point
of condensation to the outside of the PE-bag away from the tissue.
Adding desiccant packets into the bags as recommended by Andy and Thomas
surely is a good idea, I also planned put desiccant into the boxes to
keep the bags in a as stable as possible microclimate inside the boxes.

On the points that Paul raised (shrinkage, embrittlement and bacteria
growth) the first two are absolutely valid - the fins show significant
signs of shrinkage, but we largely have dorsal, pectoral and pelvic fins
- which are very sturdy in most sharks - crumbling membranes (or fin
rays, of course) are not too much of a problem. The third, bacterial
growth is an interesting one: while we recently had some mould issues on
prepared bony fish skeletons due our malfunctioning climate control
systems, there were absolutely no signs of mould or bacterial growth on
our dry shark jaws or sawfish saws (both are kept dry and open in our
storage area).

Many thanks for all your thoughtful replies, much appreciated!

With best wishes
Dirk