[Nhcoll-l] specimen vault vs vaults

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Apr 20 17:46:51 EDT 2021

Hi Tonya,

if you are in an area with high fire risk, separating collections into
smaller compartments with internal firewalls makes sense. This is how
our collection is organised. Connecting aisles narrow at one point that
can be cut-off by fire protection doors.

As the Cape Town fire showed once again, entire collections can be lost
fast. Most valuable items were stored in a vault, but they couldn't
check so far if the specimens in there survived the blaze.

The collection in Brussels is organised in the same way; even inside the
storage room, there are branching compartments that can be blocked
automatically in case of an fire.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 20.04.2021 um 22:07 schrieb Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace):
> Hello all,
>
> I am wondering if any of you have opinions on the utility of
> separating collections into different vaults/rooms, or of housing them
> all together in one large space? We are planning a new building, and
> there have been some questions regarding the utility and point of
> keeping similar collections (e.g. bird and mammal skins) separated
> (they are housed in different vaults now). From my perspective, it
> seems that keeping collection types separate is useful for several
> reasons, including reducing the risk of pest spread between
> collections, and ease of workflow for researchers and staff working in
> different collections. But perhaps there are great advantages (here's
> one - a bit of extra space from the lack of an internal dividing wall)
> to housing everything in one large space that I haven't thought of?
> Have any of you moved to or away from housing different taxa together,
> and if so what have you found? Advice and opinions very much appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tonya

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/