[Nhcoll-l] Preservation of invertebrate collections in AGW [Alcohol + Glycerin + Water]

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Thu Aug 26 13:36:33 EDT 2021

Hi Nate,
The glycerin will not appreciably effect ethanol concentration measurements based on density.
See: N. Boase and Robert Waller, The effect of propylene glycol on ethanol concentrations determined by density measurement. Collection Forum 10(2), 41-49, 1994.
The part of the solution being lost (expecting glycerin to have minor effect on ethanol and water partial pressure ratios) will be 90%v/v ethanol
See: Robert Waller and Tom Strang, Physical-chemical properties of preservative solutions I: Ethanol-water solutions. Collection Forum 12(2), 70-85, 1996.
You may want to simply top up jars with,  more than say half, fluid remaining with 90%v/v ethanol.
Rob