[Nhcoll-l] Identifying bird feathers in an old hat.......

Erin Cashion ecashion at ohiohistory.org
Tue Jan 19 14:50:13 EST 2021

Hi Cory,

My knowledge of Galliformes outside of North America is shaky, but I believe the shorter feathers are scapulars from either Phasianus versicolor<https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e6/fd/d8/e6fdd89a788e760ab0690c8b0e796d1a.jpg> or Phasianus colchicus<https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3947/14966344994_5bb5192387_b.jpg>, or a domestic hybrid thereof, or from a closely related species. You’ll notice the interior color of the feathers on the live birds is a light buff - I suspect the feathers may have been dyed to match the brown of the hat, or they may be stained due to age or from contaminants.

The longer feathers may be upper tail coverts from a red jungle fowl, Gallus gallus<https://www.cacklehatchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/shutterstock_162402209_1_.jpg>, progenitor of our domestic chicken.

Others with more extensive knowledge may wish to correct me.

Thanks,
Erin

Erin B. Cashion | Curator of Natural History
Ohio History Connection | 800 East 17th Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43211
614.298.2054 | ecashion at ohiohistory.org<mailto:ecashion at ohiohistory.org>
She/Her/Hers