[Nhcoll-l] Job Opportunity at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History

Covell, Amy CovellA at CarnegieMNH.Org
Tue Jul 6 17:02:04 EDT 2021

Anthropology Collection Manager Job Opportunity

Carnegie Museum of Natural History

4400 Forbes Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

July 6, 2021

Hello Colleagues,
It is with bittersweet feelings that we announce the upcoming retirement of our long-time anthropology collection manager, Deborah Harding. While we recognize her achievements, devotion, and importance to the institution, it is with great hope that we are posting an opening for her successor. The ideal candidate will have experience working with a global ethnographic collection and possess strong knowledge of North and South American cultural material. A Master’s degree in anthropology or museum studies plus three years’ experience or the equivalent is preferred. This position will require a successful history with all processes required by the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act and the ability to facilitate consultations with pertinent stakeholders. Strong collection management database skills are a must and proficiency in Axiell EMu is even better. Just as Deborah has worked closely with her colleagues at the museum, her successor will be expected to participate in science and research, public programming, exhibitions, education, conservation, and marketing. Managing students and volunteers, the anthropology collection manager will be able to maintain the safety and integrity of the collection so that it can continue to be a source of inspiration and information for the Greater Pittsburgh community and beyond. Deborah’s exemplary work teaching finger weaving to members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee and her involvement in the ongoing digital repatriation of cultural material to the Kuikuro of the Upper Xingu should serve as two examples of the types of collaborative external partnerships that can be forged in this position. As we continue to reflect on and take responsibility for our past collecting and exhibition practices, we reserve hope that the next anthropology collection manager will contribute thoughtful dialogue and practical solutions for furthering our decolonization efforts and help us to cultivate vibrant relationships with diverse communities. For more information and to apply, please see the job posting here: https://us60.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/car/Posting/View/3305
Please help us to spread the word.
Thank you,
[cid:image001.png at 01D77288.54C05AD0]

Amy L. Covell-Murthy (She/Her)

Archaeology Collection Manager

Carnegie Museum of Natural History

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.