[Nhcoll-l] Recommendations on jars for displaying fluid specimens

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 12:35:14 EDT 2021

Simon's and Dirk's suggestions are good, but if you decide to use acrylic
(Plexiglas, Perspex) you can have them custom-crafted for your specimens.
However, do not use these containers for long-term storage (see van Dam et
al. 2000. The warping and cracking of Plexiglas containers. *Collection
Forum* 14:47-56).

If a traditional jar is suitable, you can still find 16 ounce jars with
good screw-on caps for several sources. For example, the Cary Company lists
a 16 fluid oz jar that is 2.7 inches wide and 6.6 inches high (

https://www.thecarycompany.com/16-oz-paragon-glass-jar-63mm-63-405?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-LvTiqWK1KLSw-L6twwpTSjRdOVVeesu6Szw8AWGwD9vfn03OYSUVxoC7uIQAvD_BwE).
The integrity of screw-on caps can be enhanced by wrapping the jar threads
with Teflon plumber's tape before the lid is applied. I do not recommend
using any of the twist-on cap jars sold in the US. These are designed to be
machine-sealed and are difficult to re-close as tightly as you need.

You may be able to find better jars at a better price. You should also
consider looking for borosilicate jars, as borosilicate glass has much
better optical properties than most glass jars.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima