[Nhcoll-l] Formalin and glass vials

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed Mar 3 13:37:04 EST 2021

Hi Mandy,

sounds to me like weathering of the glass surface (dish-washer effect);
likely as Simon indicate triggered from low pH of the formaldehyde
solution (and potential secondary reactions).

If this is para-formaldehyde, it should look like a needle-like crystals
or a crystalline precipitation on the glass surface, but judging from
your description it seems to be glass corrosion (especially occurring in
less chemically inert in soda-lime glass).

If this is the case, you can't brush it off; if the jars are still
stable, you may use them to store specimens in with less polar
preservation fluids (we have some poor post-WWII cylinders with clear
signs of weathering which still do their job).

My two cents

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 03.03.2021 um 16:16 schrieb Simon Moore:
> Hi Mandy,
>
> If this is a formalin residue then it’s likely a para-formaldehyde
> polymer. If so, then it will gradually dissolve away in preserving
> strength alcohol but it takes a week at least.
>
> If not, then it might also be a reaction, over time, of the formalin
> with the glass whereby the formalin slowly leaches alkali from the
> glass. If this is the case, then I’m regretfully stumped but someone
> else may know better!
>
> With all good wishes, Simon
>
> Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
> Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
>
> www.natural-history-conservation.com
> <http://www.natural-history-conservation.com>
>

>> On 3 Mar 2021, at 05:59, Mandy Reid <Mandy.Reid at Australian.Museum
>> <mailto:Mandy.Reid at Australian.Museum>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I am wondering if anyone has a simple method for cleaning glass vials
>> that have become clouded or appear to contain flaky reside after they
>> have been in formalin solution for some time.
>>
>> We are currently switching our specimens from formalin to ethanol and
>> don’t want to wastefully discard reusable glass that is still intact
>> and strong, but clearly etched in formalin solution over time.
>>
>> I am currently trying dilute bleach. Any other suggestions other than
>> a lot of scrubbing?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mandy
>>

>> Dr Mandy Reid
>> Collection Manager | Malacology
>> Australian Museum  1 William Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
>> T 61 2 9320 6412 M 61 431 829 842
>> <image001.png>
>> Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
>>
>> I respect and acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation as
>> the First Peoples and Traditional Custodians of the land and
>> waterways on which the Australian Museum stands.
>>

>> The Australian Museum email disclaimer
>>
>> The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily
>> reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The information contained
>> in this email message and any accompanying files is or may be
>> confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not
>> the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding,
>> printing or copying of this email or any attached files
>> is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete
>> it and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee
>> the accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached
>> files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian
>> Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
>> message or attached
>> files. _______________________________________________
>> Nhcoll-l mailing list
>> Nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu <mailto:Nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>

>> NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
>> Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/