[Nhcoll-l] The price for herbarium cabinets is apparently skyrocketing

Bill Harms botanybill at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 04:22:47 EDT 2021

The Patuxent Research Refuge Herbarium is looking for some help.

few years. The Patuxent Research Refuge (PRR) purchased two cabinets
about 6 years ago for about $2500.  The collection has grown to the
point where we need a third one and we discovered that the supplier is
now asking over $4800 for the same make and model. Due to budget
constraints, the US Fish and Wildlife Service does not have the funding
to purchase the third one. The Refuge's citizen support organization,
the Friends of Patuxent allocated the funds to purchase one based on the
cost of the first two cabinets.  Now that the cost is nearly twice as
much, going back to them to cover the additional cost would be problematic.

Are there grants that we can apply for?  Are there other funding sources
available? And finally, does anyone know why the cost of cabinets would
double in just a few years?  My guess is raw material price increase and
COVID. Are there other reasons for this?

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let us know.

--
*Bill Harms*
*Volunteer Project Coordinator/Citizen Botanist*
botanybill at verizon.net
*BLOG:*/botanybill.info/
*FACEBOOK:* facebook.com/PatuxentPlantSurvey/
*PLANTS OF THE REFUGE PHOTO ALBUM:*
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11582493@N02/sets/72157676590571301