[Nhcoll-l] SPNHC Biodiversity Crisis Response Committee resources page

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Wed Mar 24 14:57:10 EDT 2021

Dear Andy,

it would be worth keeping a close eye on the development of the post-202
Global Biodiversity Framework and included indicators and monitoring
elements.

Ideally, the data our collections can contribute would receive more
attention, as we deliver the baselines for many monitoring elements,
while currently only big data aggregators such as GBIF are recognised as
being relevant for the monitoring of biodiversity loss.

It is also obvious, however, that the data we provide increase our
visibility also outside our own peer group and that may be pose a
challenge for institutions, as the reference to herbarum specimens in
Kew and Paris show in this study that discusses potential retroactive
benefit sharing claims:
https://www.cbd.int/abs/Art-10/study-art10-peer-review-revd.pdf

our response to this can be found here:
https://www.cbd.int/abs/Art-10/Peer-review/SPNHC1.docx

With best wishes
Dirk

Am 24.03.2021 um 19:12 schrieb Bentley, Andrew Charles:

> The purpose of the Biodiversity Crisis Response committee
> (https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Biodiversity_Crisis_Response_Committee
> <https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Biodiversity_Crisis_Response_Committee>)
> is to investigate the role of SPNHC in mobilizing collections around
> effective means of mitigating biodiversity loss and widely
> broadcasting the collection community’s positive contributions in this
> area.
>
> Our collections and research contribute directly to regional,
> national, and international assessments of rare and endangered
> species, the compilation of checklists, floras and faunas, and
> taxonomic, phylogenetic, evolutionary, and ecological research. Our
> collections form a global biodiversity baseline that is critical to
> tracking and predicting the effects of climate change on people and on
> the natural world. In June 2019, the Biodiversity Crisis Response
> Committee of SPNHC formed in response to an urgent call to action to
> prevent the loss of close to one million species in what is being
> called an international ‘biodiversity crisis’ that will change the
> face of the planet.
>
> The committee has set up a resources page in the SPNHC best practices
> wiki to provide resources for collections to use to promote the use of
> their collections in conservation and in addressing the biodiversity
> crisis as well as to advocate for their collections. The page can be
> found here:
>
> https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Biodiversity_Crisis_Response_and_Conservation_Resources
> <https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Biodiversity_Crisis_Response_and_Conservation_Resources>
>
> If you have any additional resources that you think may be useful for
> others, please let us know by contacting one of the committee members.
>
> The committee is also interested in accumulating specific stories of
> collections that have worked effectively with conservation or
> biodiversity organizations in using or promoting the use of
> collections in conservation or in mitigating species loss.  Specific
> examples or stories of these interactions would be appreciated to add
> to the resources page.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy
>
>      A :                A  :               A  :
>
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>
> V                   V                  V
>
> Andy Bentley
>
> Ichthyology Collection Manager
>
> University of Kansas
>
> Biodiversity Institute
>
> Dyche Hall
>
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
>
> Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
>
> USA
>
> Tel: (785) 864-3863
>
> Fax: (785) 864-5335
>
> Email: abentley at ku.edu <mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
>
> http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu
> <http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
>
>      A :                A  :                A  :

> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/