[Nhcoll-l] Hydrating old crustaceans

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Wed May 5 10:34:46 EDT 2021

Folks,

I'm doing some research and testing to assess whether our very old dry crustacean specimens would be better placed in fluid from now. Left in air it seems inevitable that they will eventually dry out to the point of disintegration. I'd like to solicit people's input on these two points:
- Reviewing the literature on this subject, particularly accounts of actual hydration/fluidization protocols and experiments
- Designing experiments and publishing basic procedures
If you know of relevant publications, have anecdotal experience of your own and/or would be interested in joining an informal working group on this topic, please email me directly.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170