[Nhcoll-l] Shipping 4L of ethanol (ca. 100%) and 500 mL of Giemsa from PA, USA to CA, USA

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Sat May 29 03:04:46 EDT 2021

... adding to what John said: including the word "limited quantity" or
"restricted quantity" to your search will show you the allowances /
exceptions that might be useful. There are different regulations for DGR
transportation on ground (likely regulated by DOT in the US) and air
transport (IATA/ICAO). Useful infomration is summarised on the SPNHC
wiki:
https://spnhc.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Shipping_and_Handling_of_Dangerous_Goods

However, it might probably be easier purchasing the chemicals online and
use the contacts details of your colleague who needs them as shipping
address. The retailer surely  is approved and takes care for
DGR-shipping that is fully compliant with the regs in place, and the
shipping costs are presumably lower, because as unknown, uncertified
shipper you need to calculate extra costs for the DGR-packaging that has
to be done by registered, certified companies (often found at airports).

Hope that helps
Dirk

Am 28.05.2021 um 23:51 schrieb John E Simmons:
> Both ethanol and methanol (a component of Giemsa) are regulated as
> hazardous substances in these quantities, and will have to be packed,
> labeled, and shipped in accordance with strict regulations.
>
> You need to check with a potential shipping agency or service (such as
> the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx) to find the best price
> for packing, labeling, and shipping. You can probably find the
> information you need online, but it will take some searching, so you
> might also consider calling to ask.
>
> --John
>
> John E. Simmons
> Writer and Museum Consultant
> Museologica
> /and/
> Associate Curator of Collections
> Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
> Penn State University
> /and/
> Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
> Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima
>

> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Jorge A. Santiago-Blay
> <blayjorge at gmail.com <mailto:blayjorge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Shipping 4L of ethanol (ca. 100%) and 500 mL of Giemsa from PA,
>     USA to CA, USA
>
>     Dear Colleagues:
>
>     A colleague of mine needs to ship 4L of ethanol (ca. 100%) and 500
>     mL of Giemsa from PA, USA to CA, USA. As far as I am aware, no
>     museum specimens are involved in the shipment. Are there any rules
>     this colleague must be aware about sending these liquids via post?
>
>     In gratefulness for your recommendations, sincerely,
>
>     Jorge

>     NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
>     Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
>     mission is to improve the preservation, conservation and management of
>     natural history collections to ensure their continuing value to
>     society. See http://www.spnhc.org <http://www.spnhc.org> for
>     membership information.
>     Advertising on NH-COLL-L is inappropriate.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/