[Nhcoll-l] Guata / Watte for curation subjects

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Thu Oct 7 08:33:27 EDT 2021

I agree that the risk of Byne's Disease from cotton alone is far lower than that from wooden storage cases. Cotton is cellulose, but the mass of that material per cubic inch is far lower compared with wood. We remove cotton where we find it in the collections, but in terms of strategy have concentrated more on replacing wood and wood-based materials like Masonite and plywood.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170