[Nhcoll-l] Shelving for ETOH collections?

Haff, Tonya (NCMI, Crace) Tonya.Haff at csiro.au
Tue Oct 12 16:24:11 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the best material for shelving in an ETOH vault. Right now we are considering using 316 stainless steel for the shelves. I know this type of stainless steel is chemical resistant to some degree, but I am not totally sure it is the best option, and I wonder if it could still corrode over time with exposure to accidental drips of leaks from jars...especially those with formalin fixed specimens in them.

Any thoughts on the best materials we could use in this environment would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Tonya