[Nhcoll-l] no data specimens

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Thu Oct 14 15:04:16 EDT 2021

Wendell

To be clear we are talking about specimens that have little to no data and are not well curated research collections with data.  Hopefully you can find someone to take on your collection when you decide to hand it off but it worries me that you would rather throw it in a dumpster than have it used for important K-12 or undergraduate education.  Taking on these collections is a community problem that definitely needs addressing as taking on an “orphan” collection puts a strain on the accepting institutions resources and space and hinders their ability to take care of existing or incoming material.

Also, to be fair, the reasoning behind limiting amateur access to collections is due to data sensitivity and the ability to use that data to find paleo sites and plunder them – not our ability to use these collections for formal and informal education.

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V