[Nhcoll-l] international shipments being held up and extra fees

Neumann, Dirk neumann at snsb.de
Mon Oct 25 15:57:06 EDT 2021

Hi Doug,

that might be simply because in many countries national postal services
are not slightly underperforming combined with the fact that liability
for consignments carried within their systems is transferred to national
postal services (or respective contractors) in the country of origin.
Both are relevant factors in "smooth" import clearance (with exceptions,
of course).

There are rumors that zoological or botanical specimens should be banned
from transport, and the way how customs handles import shipments if they
are handed over by national postal services is no always convincing (cf.
incidents in Australia few years back).

There are pros and cons for national postal services (in Munich we use
our national postal service for most countries, but for some we choose
express companies like DHL, FedEx, UPS, to maintain control and the
opportunity to interact quickly if required) ...

Cheers,
Dirk