[Nhcoll-l] Changes to International Custom Tariff Codes

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Jan 3 11:12:27 EST 2022

Dear colleagues,

with effect of 1 January 2022, the international custom tariff codes are
amended, which also affects the custom tariff codes under title 9705 we
are using.

The European Commission provides a full summary (> 1000 pages ...) in
the Commission Implementing Regulation 2021/1832, which is available
here
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/DE/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32021R1832>
(in all EU languages).

The relevant pages for us are 705-707, more specifically page 706 bottom
to page 707. The amendment introduces a more refined distinction in
title 9705 for collections and collectors’ pieces of:

  * _archaeological, ethnographic or historical_ interest, *CN 9705 10
    00*, i.e. *man-made artefacts*, and*
    *
  * _zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical_ or
    _palaeontological_ interest*:*
      o Human specimens and parts thereof,*CN 9705 21 00*, i.e.
        *specimens in / samples from anthropological collections*,
      o Extinct or endangered species and parts thereof, *CN 9705 22
        00*, e.g. *specimens / samples falling under CITES or with
        respective IUCN status*,
      o Other, *CN 9705 29 00*, i.e. all non-human specimens (excluding
        man-made artefacts) that are not categorised as 'extinct' or
        'endangered'

Please accustom yourself with this new categorisation and adjust your
shipping documents accordingly where relevant.

Even though this amendment is highly welcome because we now have an own
Custom tariff Code that exclusively covers our preserved museum material
(*CN 9705 29 00*), it introduces slight inconvenience with regard to *CN
9705 22 00 *as well, because no reference point has been set as to which
conservation laws are specifically meant here. For example, CITES
listing of species in the European Union differs from the official CITES
Annexes (EU has 4 and is slightly stricter, while CITES has only 3), and
I doubt that postal carriers and customs do know e.g. national ed
listings of species, or would even know where to look them up.

Unless you are shipping specimens of species that are _extinct_
(probably: extinct in the wild) or are indexed on one of the CITES
Annexes, you should prefer *CN 9705 29 00*, while you would prefer *CN
9705 21 00* for any anthropological material (palaeobotany and
archaeozoological specimens would fall under 9705 29 00 to my
understanding).

Template follows below.

With best wishes for 2022

Dirk

*****

This package contains dead museum specimens (preserved freshwater fish
for Latin species names refer to included loan agreement) for scientific
research, which are exclusively exchanged between museums acc. point (5)
(b) in the Annex of Commission Regulation (EU) 2020/762 amending (EU) No
142/2011. The material was originally preserved in formalin solution
(max. strength: < 10%, UN2209) for at least one week and then
transferred into 75 % denatured Ethanol (UN1170, PG II) for further
preservation. Preserved specimens packed are not subject to the initial
selection list of products for veterinary checks at border inspection
posts under Art. 3 Council Directive 2007/275/EC, Annex I, EX 9705 00
00). Preservation of specimens agrees with requirements for Safe
Treatment laid down in Point (8) (a) (e) (ii) in the /ANNEX /to the
Commission Regulation (EU) No 294/2013, amending Commission Regulation
(EU) No 142/2011, /ANNEX XIII, /CHAPTER VI.The specimens are on loan for
biodiversity (morphological / taxonomical) research and legally belong
to the State of Bavaria (Country of Origin: Germany); they are
non-infectious, non-contagious, non-venomous, unfit for human
consumption, no traded goods, have no commercial value and are not for
resale.

*HS-Code:9705 29 00* (Collections of _zoological _/ botanical /
mineralogical
palaeontological interest, not extinct or endangered)

*Declared value:5.00 €*

--

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/