[Nhcoll-l] Google Earth fix?

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:52:32 EST 2022

Geolocate allows many different map interfaces, including topo maps. This
might help.

https://www.geo-locate.org/

-Derek

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 9:46 AM Douglas Yanega <dyanega at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> As part of our normal routine for georeferencing legacy material, I and
> others here who work with specimen data capture use Google Earth. Much
> of this activity was curtailed during the pandemic, and we're just now
> getting back to some of this. It's come to my attention that - evidently
> - Google Earth no longer shows the boundaries of counties in the US.
>
> State boundaries, yes, zip code boundaries, yes, but there used to be
> county boundaries and county names, and they appear to be entirely gone
> now. This promises to entail a significant addition to the time required
> for us to properly capture data, and in some cases will make assignment
> to county impossible, when a point maps along a road that crosses a
> county line (e.g., we need to data capture three points along Hwy 380
> between Bingham and Carrizozo, NM, and somewhere between those towns
> there is a county line between Socorro and Lincoln counties - but it's
> invisible). Yes, points mapping to a town or named place are generally
> fine, but points along roads often require a visual confirmation as to
> which side of a county line they are on, and that can't be done if
> Google Earth has permanently removed county lines from their display.
>
> I'm sure we're not alone in having made extensive use of this feature,
> and wanting to have it back. Short of a massive letter-writing campaign
> to Google Earth admins, does anyone know a fix for this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Doug Yanega      Dept. of Entomology       Entomology Research Museum
> Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314     skype: dyanega
> phone: (951) 827-4315 (disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
>               https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
>    "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>          is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*Derek S. Sikes*, Curator of Insects, Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum (UAM), University of Alaska Fairbanks
1962 Yukon Drive, Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960
dssikes at alaska.edu phone: 907-474-6278 he/him/his
University of Alaska Museum <https://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>
-  search 357,704 digitized arthropod records
<http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us