[Nhcoll-l] Google Earth fix?

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Jan 6 16:45:31 EST 2022

... doesn't the accuracy of the displayed results (besides internal
algorithms for display) depend to some extant on the original satellite
data? Back in mid 2000 we received absolutely weird results from our GPS
devices standing by the river, while the GPS located us on the hill over
there, even though we had good satellite coverage.

Also, if tracing locations from historic maps or published locality maps
and reverse georeferencing, you will always have some sort of
imprecision. There is a risk of false accuracy, and it is worth noting
(in databases and preferably on the remarks on jar labels), if online
georeferencing were used (and which). Can be a challenge on insect
labels, of course.

Last autumn I (finally) found in a publication one of the lovely
hand-drawn b/w station maps (one of those which kept authors busy with
the India-ink pen for days) from the late 1970ies. When translating
these dots back into GPS coordinates, getting as close as 5-10 miles was
really good.

Not directly connects to Doug's original post/question, but perhaps
worth noting - of course you want to be as close as you can get and
pin-point original locations as best as possible

Dirk

Am 06.01.2022 um 21:43 schrieb Mare Nazaire:
> As I understand it, GeoLocate does have a measuring tool to measure
> road miles. I never just use one georeferencing program - I use
> GeoLocate and Google Earth together and make sure that I am getting
> consistent results, because you can run into discrepancies, as you
> have pointed out.
>
> ~Mare
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 11:43 AM Douglas Yanega <dyanega at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On 1/6/22 11:03 AM, Marie Angel wrote:
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     In Geolocate’s collaborative georeferencing web client
>>     (https://www.geo-locate.org/web/WebComGeoref.aspx), if you click
>>     on the small blue and white plus sign on the right side, it will
>>     show different base layers and overlays. Under “overlays” there
>>     is an option to show US counties.
>>
>>     I hope this helps!
>
>     Hi, Marie.
>
>     Now that you point out where this feature is, it's good to see
>     that they have it. However, what would help here is if GeoLocate
>     had a more user-friendly interface. I can't see how you and other
>     using GL can deal with specimen label data capture without
>     introducing unnecessary uncertainty.
>
>     Consider this specimen label:
>
>     17 mi W Carrizozo, Lincoln Co., NM
>
>     Unless I'm missing something, GeoLocate does not have a tool to
>     create a path that measures *exactly 17 road miles* W of
>     Carrizozo. Google Earth does. It turns out, in fact, using Google
>     Earth with the county lines layer restored, that this locality
>     label is wrong, because if you drive 17 miles west from Carrizozo
>     (there's only one road, and it goes mostly NW), you cross the
>     county line into Socorro county at around 13 miles. I don't see a
>     way to tell in GL how far that county line is from Carrizozo, the
>     way you can using Google Earth.
>
>     When I was researching georeferencing protocols for legacy
>     specimens (anything without lat/long data on the label) for a
>     major NSF grant, I did numerous side-by-side comparisons of
>     various available tools, and while GeoLocate gave very rapid
>     answers, it always underperformed in terms of accuracy, with a
>     much higher error rate and uncertainty radius compared to manual
>     lookups using Google Earth. Points generated using GL would often
>     be several miles away from the actual location, so what one saved
>     in time (admittedly substantial) was undermined by a very
>     significant loss of accuracy. I can give very concrete examples,
>     for anyone interested in nitpicky details.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     --
>     Doug Yanega      Dept. of Entomology       Entomology Research Museum
>     Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314     skype: dyanega
>     phone: (951) 827-4315 (disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
>                   https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
>        "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>              is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

> [...]

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/