[Nhcoll-l] Division between the education collection and the permanent collection

Jeff Stephenson Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org
Mon Jan 24 13:58:16 EST 2022

Dear Efrat,
I would start by setting some parameters for what you want/need to accomplish through your Education Collection.  A separate Education Collection needs to have clear policy and procedure, starting from the point that what needs to be in the Research Collections is the call of individual Curators in each Collection.  Sometimes this means that no data specimens or multiples of specimens are kept for research or for reference; again, this is the call of the Research Curator involved.  An Education Collection mainly differs from a Research Collection in terms of "shelf life":  where we have a policy of maintaining Research Collections in perpetuity, an Education Collection has a measurable shelf life.  This "shelf life" may last a few weeks or may last many decades, but this is not a permanent collection.

There may be some specimens with data that could be used in an Education Collection (up to the Research Curators).

Since a portion of an Education Collection may be "hands on", it is important to maintain safety for the people who may be touching these specimens.  Chemical, physical, and biological hazards are something to avoid sharing.
I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have; contact me if you would like.
Cheers,
Jeff

JEFF STEPHENSON

COLLECTIONS MANAGER, ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT

[DMNS 2 Line RGB small.jpg]<http://www.dmns.org/>

jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>

W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492

2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve,<http://community.dmns.org/content/OnlineCommunity.aspx> present, inspire, explore

[www.dmns.org]www.dmns.org

Meet live animals that manage to thrive in a world where large, strong and fast animals top the food chain in “Survival of the Slowest<https://dmns.mobi/3BsTIPv>,” opening Oct. 22.

Conoce en vivo a las especies que logran prosperar en un mundo donde los animales grandes, fuertes y rápidos encabezan la cadena alimentaria en "Survival of the Slowest<https://dmns.mobi/3BsTIPv>", que se inaugura el 22 de octubre.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD)<http://www.scfd.org/>.