[Nhcoll-l] budgeting for moving a collection

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:09:50 EST 2022

Hi, Colleen!  Andy and John bring up good points.  However, I do want to
add one thing that was a critical error during the move of our collections,
and that is to engage upper administration early to establish clear
objectives and timelines.

As an example, for our recent collections move, we were initially given a
timeline of 4 months to move about 15 million specimens/objects across our
anthropological, paleontological, and zoological collections.  That
timeline came from above and the curatorial staff was not consulted
a priori on the logistics and funding needs.  However, after substantial
pushback and many meetings later, we established a more reasonable timeline
of just over 2 years.

I hope that helps!

Take care,
Cody

Cody W. Thompson, PhD
Mammal Collections Manager
& Assistant Research Scientist
University of Michigan
Museum of Zoology
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Office: (734) 615-2810
Fax: (734) 763-4080
Email: cwthomp at umich.edu
Website: codythompson.org

personnel available working onsite. No loan returns should be shipped
without prior notification, and collection visits, loan requests, gifts,
exchanges, etc. should be coordinated with the appropriate curatorial
staff. Please expect delayed responses. We apologize for any inconvenience
this may cause.