[Nhcoll-l] [EXT]Re: How to display herbarium specimens without color fading

Luci Cipera lcipera at nature.ca
Mon Mar 7 13:00:34 EST 2022

Hi Rebecca,

I see that Rob beat me with a great response on light fading of herbariums specimens on exhibit.  I will follow up with how we display herbarium specimens today at the Canadian Museum of Nature.

There really is no “safe” way to display plant specimens on exhibit.  Especially when dealing with long term display.  At the Canadian Museum of Nature, we only display specimens from our herbarium for short temporary exhibitions. We have done Microfade testing in the past to help us recommend safe light levels and length of display for some of our specimens.  Our conclusion was that plant specimens from our collections are not to be used for any long-term exhibitions.  We use two solutions for displaying plant specimens in permanent or long-term exhibitions.
1) we collect and prepare specimens specifically for the exhibition.   We also have back up plants for replacement if there is any fading over time.
2) for the display the display of specific herbarium specimens from our collection (historic, type specimens, etc.), we have started to use prints of the herbarium sheets.  We use high quality scans and printing to create very realistic herbarium sheet prints for display (they look like the real thing when on display). The exhibit clearly identifies the herbarium sheets as prints on the display labels.

These two options help us display more herbarium specimens without the risk of loss of colour and value to the specimens from our collections.

Luci

Luci Cipera
Conservator, Collection Services and Information Management
Conservatrice-restauratrice, Service des collections et gestion de l’information
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature
613-364-4079
lcipera at nature.ca<mailto:lcipera at nature.ca>

Robert Waller <rw at protectheritage.com>; Hawkins, Rebecca Keanni <rebecca.hawkins at ku.edu>; nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu