[Nhcoll-l] Mixing EtOH

a.j.van_dam at lumc.nl a.j.van_dam at lumc.nl
Wed Sep 7 11:13:55 EDT 2022

Dear Tonya,

When you measure with a digital densimeter, it is very important that the solution has cooled down after mixing. The thermodynamic process of mixing leads to significant rise in temperature of the fluid and the formation of tiny air bubbles. It takes a pretty long time before all these bubbles have surfaced and the fluid has cooled down. Taking a sample with a digital densimeter before these processes have settled will certainly lead to wrong read-outs, because the instrument measures the weight of the fluid sample being drawn into a folded glass tube by means of oscillation. When there is air in the fluid sample or the fluid temperature is higher than the calibration temp. the tube will be lighter and resonate at a higher frequency leading to a false and higher read-out of the ethanol concentration.

Kind regards,

Dries